The Coffee Gator conical burr grinder – or simply known as the Gator – is one inspiring invention tale that reminds us a bit of Thomas Edison‘s success story. “You wouldn’t believe how many burrs we went through,” says its sales page, “before we got everything spot on.”
We believe them, and we’re happy the makers didn’t give up. If they did, we’d be stuck with the usual options.
Why go for burrs instead of blades? The short answer is that they result in far superior cups of coffee. The key is consistency in the size of the resulting grinds. You wouldn’t get this if you use blade grinders.
Going back to the Gator, does it deliver this promise? Let’s find out in this Coffee Gator precision conical burr grinder review.
What to Expect: Key Features of the Gator
– Up to 6-Cup Capacity. The Gator’s bean hopper can contain grinds that can be used to fill up to 6 cups of great-tasting coffee. It’s therefore ideal for camping with friends, RVing with a group, or just hanging out with your buddies at home.
– 15 Click Settings. Simply twist to select the grind size that you’re gunning for. You can get “extra fine” for your espresso shots, or “medium fine” or even “coarse” for cold coffee.
– Easy to Clean. Measuring 17cm (height) x 8 cm (diameter), the Coffee Gator is super easy to clean. Just a quick rinse with warm soapy water should be fine.
– Laser-Cut Burrs. These burrs are made of stainless steel, and they’re “laser-cut” to deliver only uniform-sized grinds.
– Country of Origin. This grinder is made in China.
VIDEO: Coffee Gator Manual Burr Grinder
Watch this video to know more about the Coffee Gator conical burr grinder.
Consumer Feedback: Pros and Cons
– Results. The general feedback is that the resulting grinds are uniform and consistent in size. And yes, it does produce a better-tasting cup of coffee compared to blade grinders that can result to bitter and sour brew.
– Usage. There may be a learning curve especially when using it the first time. As one person has pointed out, it was a little “awkward.” Setting the preferred grind size is very easy.
– Grinding Time. As advertised, the Coffee Gator conical burr grinder beats other popular burr grinders when it comes to grinding time. Some customers agree, with one saying it’s the “fastest hand grinder” he has ever used.
– Complaints. Several previous buyers have reported that with use, some of the parts (nuts) loosen and fall out. A few people have had a problem with the handle coming off after a few uses.
Our Recommendation: Coffee Gator Precision Conical Burr Grinder Review
Here’s what we have to say.
Purchase the Coffee Gator conical burr grinder with reservations. If there are no problems in quality, this grinder does get the job done giving you uniform-sized grinds. However, it’s not the best manual burr grinder out there. For instance, there’s the super durable stainless steel JavaPresse that you can take anywhere without having to worry about breakage.